Saturday, December 29, 2012

Little Bad Wolf And Red Riding Hood by Timothy Tocher, edited by Bruce Lansky


If you ever wanted to see a fairy tale turned on its head then I am here to tell you that you should read Newfangled Fairy Tales. This series of modern day fairy tales will have you laughing until you cry. The story I am reviewing today is called Little Bad Wolf And Red Riding Hood. This is, you guessed it, a modern day telling of Red Riding Hood which still teaches the same moral lesson. 

Don't talk to strangers! While I break this rule all the time, it really is good advice, especially for little kids. 


Now, let me tell you about the story. In this story, Little Bad Wolf is the big bad wolf's son. He sees Red in the woods and decides to help her out with her basket. I won't tell you the whole story. You need to go get it and read it! But I will tell you that I couldn't put this piece down from the moment I started reading it. It is well written and quite a lot of fun. 


One thing I do wish is that Red was in it a bit more. She only made two appearances, one at the beginning and one at the end and she is my favourite character. I thought Little Bad Wolf was kind of smart but I didn't really like Big Bad Wolf. My guess, though, is that the author doesn't want you to like Big Bad Wolf. He is the Big Bad Wolf, after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment