Sunday, March 23, 2014

Interview With Bonnie Ferrante

Meet The Author Who Inspires Self-Esteem Through Humour
 
Bonnie Ferrante
 
What inspired you to write your first picture book?
 
I wanted more books for young children that merged good values and female protagonists into fun and interesting stories.
 
When did you start considering yourself a writer?
 
When I was hired to write a weekly humor column for a regional newspaper which I did for more than three years.
 
Out of the books you've written, which is your favourite?
 
Rumpelstiltskin's Child is my favourite because I enjoyed researching medieval items and illuminated manuscripts for my illustrations.
 
How do you feel about being interviewed by a children's book character? (That's me, Destiny!)
 
It's charming. :-)
 
What are you working on next?
 
I have several irons in the fire. I'm illustrating my children's book "No More Red". I'm sketching ideas for my protagonist and her pet for "Where is Jayda?".  I'm practicing drawing cats for "Pirate Smells." All are picture books. I'm also working with an editor to finish my YA book for Tradewind Books.
 
Can you share a little of your current work with us?
 
"No More Red" is about a little boy who dislikes red so much he wants it to disappear.
 
Out of your own characters, do you have a favourite?
 
I love Sunny in "Rayne Shines." She brings her own fun wherever she goes. She's happy with what she has and she's patient with Rayne, who has been taught to be unappreciative and gloomy.
 
Do you have any advice for other writers?
 
Take classes and read books. Treat it like a career. Join a critique group. Get a lot of feedback on your writing. Do not try to jump straight to self publishing. The market is flooded with work that was released prematurely.
 
What do you do when you are not writing?
 
I read a lot. I love playing with my granddaughters. I illustrate. I've changed from acrylics to digital illustration because I've developed Parkinson's Disease (like Michael J. Fox).
 
If you had to live in one of your books which book would it be?
 
The Amida Tree.
 
What was your favourite book when you were a kid?
 
I loved old fairy tales. I read Heidi eight times.
 
Anything you would like to add?
 
I was a grade school teacher for thirty-three years. One of the things I miss the most is reading to the class. I love public readings with small children. That's when my books really come to life, when they are read aloud.
 
Thanks for joining us, Bonnie! It was great to have you!

No comments:

Post a Comment