Thursday, January 30, 2014

Interview With Author Elias Zapple

Introducing The Author With The Amazing Mustache

Elias Zapple

What inspired you to write your first book?

My favourite pet slug, Steve. My faithful companion, attentive listener to my woes, avid reader of my prose and unfortunate victim of a fatal lawnmower accident. He inspires me everyday and in every way. His last words to me were, "Elias, write that children's book, 'Duke & Michel', it'll be a huge success and children everywhere will love it. Also, please eat the lettuce in the fridge before it goes bad."


When did you start considering yourself a writer?

April 2nd, 1870, the day after I emerged out of a tulip in an old granny’s garden here in Camberwell.


Out of the books you've written, which is your favourite?

The latest is always my favourite. The latest would be Duke & Michel: The King Tingaling Painting. Being my favourite, I often take it out to fancy restaurants and buy it tulips.


How do you feel about being interviewed by a children's book character?

How do you feel about being interviewed by a slug with an IQ of 190? It’s terrifying, believe me. 


What are you working on next?

A new style for my moustache, Mr Snazzy. He refuses to change but I’ll do it when he’s asleep.


Can you share a little of your current work with us?

An extract from my first book, Duke & Michel: The Mysterious Corridor:

Duke wandered over to a used chocolate wrapper that was by the side of the
road and sniffed at it.
Empty. Just my luck.”
What’s empty?”
Besides your head?”
Michel went over to Duke and picked up the chocolate wrapper Duke was sniffing at.
Chocomallo!”
I didn’t know you could read,” Duke said, as he had a lie down.
This is Romain’s favourite chocolate bar. He always has one on him.”
Only one? Selfish boy. He should always carry two. Never know when you might meet a very hungry Basset Hound.”’


Out of your own characters, do you have a favourite?

I’m fairly impartial however most people seem to love Duke, a sarcastic, pompous, food-obsessed Basset Hound. He’s quick-witted, scathing, rude and narcissistic - my kind of dog.


Do you have any advice for other writers?

Throwing cabbages is a great way to relieve stress.


What do you do when you are not writing?

I throw cabbages at my neighbour, Dieter and plan military attacks with my army of slugs. I also drink an obscene amount of herbal tea.


If you had to live in one of your books which book would it be?

My books aren’t big enough to fit me and I wouldn’t be able to breathe. Mr Snazzy would just wilt away! It would have to be a book the size of a house but then why live in a book and not in a house? An absurd idea!


What was your favourite book when you were a kid?

How to Brainwash Slugs’.


What's the deal with slugs and cabbages?


The deal is for a lifetime and includes a 5-minute break each year. They’re also allowed to hold conventions in my hallway as part of the deal. One slug tried to revolt and demand better conditions he’s now resting comfortably at the bottom of a deep-fat fryer. The same for the cabbages except they don’t require breaks or have the need to hold conventions.

No comments:

Post a Comment